The other day I found out that it was the birthday of the receptionist at my daughter’s school, this woman is LOVELY and always so happy to see the children, she is a really special person. Sadly I didn’t know it was her birthday until it was too late, so I whipped up a card like this one that evening and we gave it to her a day late. The original card had issues, I was proud of it but all I saw were its flaws and I didn’t have time to re-make it.

I did have time to remake the card a day or two later, though, and since it was such a time intensive card to make I mass produced 5 of them! Why not, I LOVE it so I’ll probably gift it many times!

To start out I stamped and colored the unicorn which is a retired stamp from the Sweet Stamp Shop. This is a fabulous set and if you can get your hands on it I highly suggest you do! The unicorn you see above is actually 3 stamps; the unicorn is one stamp and each end of the pole is a separate stamp, so you don’t have to have the pole. I used Copics N0, N2, T1, R20, R22, R32, RV66, G12, B000, B00, and B02. After it was colored I fussy cut it out and added a bit of Wink of Stella to the horns and the hooves.

The die set is from W Plus 9 and it is called Sunshine Layers. I cut the clouds and the rainbow out of white cardstock. The rainbow I then colored using Copic markers: R20, Y11, G12, and B00. The die cut keeps all of the layers together at the base and coloring the edges proved to be difficult without adding a layer of cardstock in between, as you can see here:

I had previously colored the red arch and am now ready to color the yellow arch.

I used Tsukineko Brilliance Starlight Silver to make the cloud’s lining silver. Both of the clouds and the rainbow got hit with some Wink of Stella.

To color the word Sunshine and the sun I made a gradient of yellow-to-orange using some Ranger Distress Inks. Specifically , , and .

I wasn’t being particularly careful with this gradient, what you see here wasn’t intended to be the final product.

I then cut out a bunch of suns and “Sunshine” words by trying to get the “shine” part of the word in as much yellow as I could. To add sparkle to both the sun and the word I dabbed on some Tsukineo Gold Galaxy and Cosmic Copper, using the gold over the more yellow parts of both pieces and the copper over the more orange parts. This accents the underlining color.

The background clouds were embossed on some Gina K cardstock called Ocean Mist using a Darice embossing folder and then some Ranger Glacier White Ink is dabbed on the elevated sections. I tried to keep the white to the clouds, however, I wasn’t too worried if some ink drifted over, clouds are fluffy like that. I really love the cardstock from Gina K! Finally, I die cut the clouds using the background die from the W Plus 9 set.

I started out intending to layer all of this on some silver glitter paper, but after I acquired the paper (at Michael’s) I wished I had purchased some pale pink glitter paper. I attempted to color it with Distress Inks, but I don’t think it worked well. I did heat set the color, which then faded a tiny bit, but it 12 hours later it still wasn’t fully dry. Honestly, I think I’d either skip this step or get the right product.

To adhere all of the individual elements to the cloud background I used Ranger Multi Matte Medium. The cloud base was taped to the silver paper using mounting tape, this ensures that it sticks to the glitter and adds dimension to the card. The glitter cardstock was then taped to a white card base using Scor-Tape.



2 thoughts on “Sunshine Unicorn”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Social media & sharing icons powered by UltimatelySocial